Sunset in Downtown Tofino

Welcome to my EDCI 338 webpage! Below you will find a series of my blogs and comments!

• Blog 11 – Final Course and Blog Reflection
  • EDCI 338 Final Project
    EDCI 338 Final Project Homepage: https://edci338finalprojectfall2022.opened.ca/ Website contents: About the Team Final Project – Blog Series Posts Final Project – Podcast Resources Welcome to our EDCI 338 Final Project! For our EDCI 338 Final Project, our group has created a walkthrough of PLN themes, platforms, and practices that we have explored during the Fall 2022 … Continued
  • EDCI 338 Blog #9 – Why Media Literacy Matters in your PLN
    Digital Literacy What is Digital Literacy? Digital literacy is “the interest, attitude and ability of individuals to appropriately use digital technology and communication tools to access, manage, integrate, analyze and evaluate information, construct new knowledge, create and communicate with others” (BC Government, n.d.). It encompasses factual information one can assess, and methods for obtaining key … Continued
  • EDCI 338 Blog #8 – Balancing PLN & Public Discourse
    Meet Sophie Lui News Anchor at Global BC – 5 pm and 6 pm news Reporter Journalist for 20+ years BCIT graduate in 1995 worked in news radio for 5 years and “desker” (anchor) Chek TV Victoria Highlights from the following video: Early career – networking tips: Hustle is common to get various jobs Cold-calling … Continued
  • EDCI 338 Blog #7 – Community Engagement & Your PLN
    Community Engagement is Public Communications Meet Markiel Simpson Community advocate working to introduce a Canadian Black history curriculum in BC. Markiel is a building manager at BC housing, involved with BC Community Alliance (non-profit dedicated to dismantling systemic racism), a member of the world economic forum Vancouver hub, and lower mainland rep for BC NDP’s … Continued
  • EDCI 338 Blog #6 – Engaging your PLN
    How would you create a PLN prior to engaging in a social media campaign on a topic of your choice? Creating a PLN is an important step in establishing a social media campaign, and is even more productive and effective if it is developed prior to launching the campaign. A strong PLN is important for … Continued
  • EDCI 338 Blog #5 – PLNs in Education
    Meet Dr. Brad Baker! Dr. Brad Baker is the Associate Superintendent of Indigenous Education for the BC Ministry of Education, District Principal of North Vancouver School District, Adjunct Professor at UBC within the Faculty of Education, member of the Squamish nation, resident of Vancouver’s North Shore, a husband, a father to 2 stepchildren, and a … Continued
  • EDCI 338 Blog #4 – PLN & Inclusion
    How diverse is my Personal Learning Network (PLN)? I believe my PLN is relatively diverse, but I am continually in the process of learning and expanding my PLN to improve upon this. I engage online and in-person with various organizations, resources, communities, etc. to diversify my views and portfolio, implement new routines, forge new relationships, … Continued
  • EDCI 338 Blog #3 – Personal Digital Identity vs Professional Digital Identity
    What digital platforms are students currently using to develop their professional network? There are many different sites that students use to develop their professional networks, including LinkedIn, Twitter, WordPress, Slack, Facebook, and Instagram! Trier (2021) mentioned that Meetup, Quora, and Wistia are alternatives to sites like LinkedIn. Depending on where their professional interests lay, different … Continued
  • EDCI 338 Blog #2 – Digital Identity
    What is a digital identity? A digital identity is an individual’s online presentation – it encompasses everything they post, share, comment on, etc., and can be representative of how they treat others and use digital tools to interact with others: it is essentially an individuals’ online footprint (Stoller, 2016). Jawed et al. (2019) describes these … Continued
  • EDCI 338 Blog #1 – PLN and Public Communications
    How are we motivated to participate in networked publics? Rajagopal et al. (2011) state that networking is linked to a deeper metacognitive level based on the attitude of the individual. They describe the Personal Professional Learning Network Model, a three-layered model that briefly describes the progression of a learner’s attitude into their actions, with two … Continued